We purchase this ship painting (seen above) last fall for $5 from an estate auction. My husband liked it and I hated it, but I bid on it for him because I love him. No other people bid against me. Ha! Since our purchase the painting has wandered around the house and I've never found a permanent home for it. Until now.
I decided that the bright orange colors would go perfectly in our son's room. There was only one problem. I still hated the frame, so I decided to change it. Here's what I did:
- Removed the frame.
- Created a new frame using a wood 1/4"board large enough to allow for a 1" border around the original canvas.
- Added 1/2" trim to the board so that it created a 1/2" reveal when the canvas was place in it.
- Painted the new frame and edges of the canvas. (2 coats)
- Attached the canvas to the new frame.
- Attached hanging hardware to the frame.
We're really pleased with the final results. It's such a great improvement not a bad $5 investment. I hung the painting last night and my son was excited to see the "Pirate Ship" added to his room.